Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Plans, Reading, and Maps

Well i have been on this steady stream to get my travel plans for this summer ready. Im trying desperatly to decide if my 97 RAV4 will make it through the rough sections, labeled 4x4 only on my surf maps; in general im stressing!! Will i goto Baja? Will I goto Mainland Mexico? I CANNOT DECIDE! Im starting to feel a little bit of confidence in my car after reading some travel blogs and seeing pictures of people doing it in old VW vans and such. I also might be a on the lookout for a second vehicle, a mexico surf beater if you will. I have located a very nice little mazda b series truck, 5spd, and low miles with a camper for 2800, but once again, my stupid endlessly decision weighing mind is telling me owning 2 vehicles is just too much trouble. I have purchased several good surf maps, a good print map of Baja Norte and Baja Sur (north and south) and now im looking into my gps maps for my gps device. This is a must as following unmarked roads through jungles towards promising coast lines can lead to general disorientation and the following paranoia. I have also been thinking of starting a travel/surf blog or maybe just converting this one. I really want to start documenting all of my travels and I am working on editing some clips of my Costa Rica videos. This next surf trip will have MUCH more photos of surfing and video too. I plan on trying to document as much as I can, and I will be much more prepared for this trip having a good first surf trip under my belt. Im feeling very anxious to get back in the water, and i might just suck it up and hit the beach very soon on our next little decent windswell, despite the high 50's water temps. If you know me and have surfed with me in the winter time, you know I hate cold water. I will sleep in the car before I get in that freezing crap. Maybe I just need a new suit. I have decided to start pushing my surfing extra hard, a commitment that is always hard to keep. I will charge and think later about my fears and what "could have" happened. I know this is a hap-hazard way to live, but surfing demands that you do that, and more often then not, you will come out on top, thrashed... but on top. Its amazing when I look back at my transition into this sport and the lifestyle that comes with it. I have always been fond of travel, I had this weird connection with places when I would visit them, especially in other countries. Surfing and exploring traveling sites on the internet has shown me a world that is immensly huge and the fact that I know I can never see everything drives me insane. I think I will continue my travels and push hard on my college to get it over with, and then, I think I will make my venture into the world. My start though is this summer, with hopefully a month surfing mexico. I will do everything I can to ensure that it happens, whether mainland or baja, it WILL happen. My body needs it, as does my soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey David...I'm really looking forward for u to come this summer to Tampico and I hope u have the balls and go to the pacific on summer hahaha...Te Quiero muchisimo =) have fun at work and take care...