Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Ramblings

I wrote this when I was bored one night during a storm on the boat.

The rain patters down on the portlights and wood that makes up her hull. A slow drip from the hatch makes evident a leak in her defenses against the weather and the dark of the night. The storm heightens in strength and the wind howls through the rigging as the docklines stretch. She labors to protect me from the storm and the cold, biting wind.

Pitter patter goes the rain above my head.

Drip drop go the leaks from the hatches.

The dark night presses on as the creaks and groans grow louder with the wind. I lay snugly in my berth, listening to the torrent outside. Visions of wild storms at sea race through my mind, reminding me constantly of where I am and just how small and insignificant I am against the elements of wind and sea.

Ohh how dark it is!

Confined to my small space while this old boat labors on fighting the storm, I lay listening and watching the lightning. The winds howls again and the creaking grows louder. I pray the docklines hold for if not I will be surely blown off the docks and into shallow waters.
The night grows darker yet, thus casting a looming shadow upon my spirit. I pray for her strength and for my own. I pray she keep out the cold and protect me from the endless driving wind and soaking rain. The wind howls on as the hours pass.

The hulls grown with undue stress.

Drip drop go the leaks from the hatches.

Pitter patter goes the rain above my head.

No comments: