Wednesday, April 12, 2006

not much of anything

Well the title sums it up. The same ole same ole is just going on, work, school, waiting for Mexico, and wishing for waves. As sad as it sounds, maybe I can be blessed with an early season hurricane. I have been re-reading "In Search of Captain Zero" by Allan Weisbecker lately and frankly, I cant wait to be on the road. Im really trying to manage my finances well and get this whole idea rolling. Im also planning my "great escape" which should be coming up in the next year to year and a half. I have already pretty much secured a place to stay and a job when I eventually meander my way down through South America to Argentina. Im extreamly excited by the prospects of this trip. I would really like to work my way out into the Carribean and maybe find some type of bar/waiter or commercial fishing work. I would really enjoy that. I want to just take some time out in my life and really figure out what exactly it is that Im suposed to do. I know my parents will flip, Im ready for that. I just cant accept right now that I was born to goto school, graduate, work, buy a house, a car, get married, have a kid or 2.3, and then hopefully live to see them have children. What in the hell is the purpose of that really? Im getting more and more tired of our preconcieved notions of what is the "correct" thing to do. What if I never own a car? So what. What if I never really own much in the meaning of earthly, worldly posessions? What if I never get married? What if my gift with computers is just an illusion and I wasn't meant to pursue any type of work with them? All of these things keep rolling through my thoughts and Im really starting to wonder about what our society tells us. Maybe Im insane. Maybe I have that wierd thing inside of me that seperates the homely from the explorers. Maybe I have some long forgotten explorers genes in me, and my quest for the world and what it contains, especially waves, is just something from my blood trying to surface. Its so hard to break free from the mold I have encased myself in. I know no one will understand my journey this summer through Mexico. I DEFINENTLY know that no one will understand my future travels, but thats ok. They are for me and not them. There is a kid in the book "In Search of Captain Zero" that they run across deep into the jungles near the end of the road in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. They are just maybe 30 or 40 miles from the Panamanian frontier, staying in a house of guy they know on a deserted beach call "Monkey Point". The kid, described as being in his mid 20's, lives out at this house. When they ask him what he's doing all the way out here he replies with "Im trying to figure out what to do with my life. I figured this would be a good place to think about it". To me, he picked one helluva spot. Its only missing surf and it would have been the perfect spot. Anyways, Im going to end this rant before I get too into this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!,,,well I'm just passing around to say hi, I'm glad u're doing ok and I'm glad everythings over now and we can keep going with our lives with no bad feelings between us...
I still hope u go to Tampico for sum surfing and sum fun too...
Te Quiero David Richey, don't forget that ok?
U're very special, always follow ur dreams and ur heart wherever it takes u, that's my secret formula and it has worked...
Love, Leslie

Whiffleboy said...

I can say from experience that getting married and having some kids gets you alot more out of life than being a feral being, however, there truly is no reason at all to jump right in to that "American Standard" profile.

Keep your youth for yourself. Do what you're planning on doing, man. Travel, explore, live, seek, contemplate. That's what life's about. If/when you've had your fill then maybe move on to other things. You'll know when you're ready.

That's what I did and I don't regret a second of it.

Anonymous said...

whwre have you been hun!!! havent heard from you since you told me bout your bro :(:(:( i'm getting sad.........I've tried to call like three times