Thursday, September 15, 2005

If my.life <> "tropical" then call Unhappiness()

Haha, what a fitting title, dont you think? Well i have finished my book, "In search of Captain Zero", a wonderful book about surfing and a huge road trip south of the border, ending in costa rica. I sit here, trying to collect my thoughts, and try and pull them into some sort of coherent pattern, free them from their indefinently deranged order. I feel like a kid, staring at candy in a store, completely unable to decide what i want, and knowing that my window of time is ever growing smaller. This is an exact relation to my situation currently. Im staring in that window of opportunity, school, a career, surfing, my lust for foreign lands and travel, and my window of time, the time in which i can choose to submit to my wants and desires, or stay firmly planted in my ever so stagnant social situation; is growing smaller by the day. I feel the need for a good surf to relax me, and clear my thoughts. That moment when you drop down the face, make the bottom turn, launch yourself back up the face and down the line, is the most enlightening, head clearing, of any activity i have ever done. In the book i finished he mentions the term "seahabilitation". I know i have to stay focused in school, keep my job, and somehow keep my desires in check, until i have better view and hold on life. Im already in knee-deep in day dreams in school or any other spare moment, of my next wave i will catch, on some far and distant land. Will it be mexico, riding buses all over the country, spending weeks, maybe a month surfing every point on the coast, living in tents and hammocks? Will it be El Salvador, with her luring tales of uncrowded, world-class breaks, untamed jungles, warm and friendly people, the left over gun toting militants from her bloody civil war? Will it be Panama, with her pristine waters, uncrowded breaks, and ever further into that region south that is so untamed and natural? I have the next 10 months to think and flip quarters, try and maximize my wave count and adventure. Its a long road ahead, but thats what in essence makes even the worst of travels worth it.

No comments: