Monday, September 20, 2010

Florencia...stuck

Well we came up here for a vacation from a vacation. Joe (the guy that came with me back in 2007) introduced me to another guy at work awhile back and he has been telling us about this little town in the mountains of Zacatecas that he is from. So they decided to take a trip and I decided to meet them here. Ok, now the fun stuff...

We pulled in at around 9:30pm and basically the town was buzzing with people getting ready for the celebrations of Mexico´s bicentennial of the revolution. I witnessed the coolest(dangerous) Mexican fireworks display ever! Then a guy with a mock bull costume that shot freaking rockets and crap chased people around the town square.... I love Mexico. We went back to a bar and had drinks with the whole family and the bar owner. Someone a couple of streets over decided to express his joy with 4 or 5 shots from what sounded like an automatic so that was kind of cool.

The next day we went all around town meeting people with Medardo (the guy who works with Joe). His family is well known around here and so is he and we met all kinds of cool people. That night we had a big party at his uncles ranch and he cooked shrimp and mexican squash and all kinds of good things.We had mariachis playing all night and whole shebang, it was nuts.

The next morning, we headed over to another rancho nearby and had a favorite tradicion of this town. Fresh warm milk from a cow poured into a glass with a type of Nestle Quick or something and then mezcal is added. Rancho Escondido... a decent mezcal. After that we packed up and headed back to his parents house where we were preparing to go on a waterfall hike through the mountains. After 1 hour of beating down a rough road (I rode on the back of a motorcycle!!!) we got to the walking point. Medardo showed us how to get the fruit from the cactus, water from some plants in the trees and other things we could eat if need be. After some walking we came to a big mountain where there was some debate about where the falls actually where and how to get to them. Thats when we started climbing.... and boy did we climb. My dog couldnt make some of the climbs so in the toughest parts I had to carry her and let me tell you, that was some scary crap climbing with no hands and holding a dog. On the other side of the mountain we ran into some cowboys and they told us about the road that ran right around the side lol. Onward!!

We passed some extreamly old ranching houses, all made with brick and trees, still standing. At the waterfalls (2 hours later) we jumped in and enjoyed the fresh cold water. Its a little dry here right now so it wasnt at full potential but there was about 1/4 flowing with a 30ft-40ft drop.... basically a great massage!!!!! We swam for a bit and enjoyed the canyon walls all around us, chica even took a dip before a serious nap. We hiked back to the cars (another 2 hours) and came on home, all of us seriously tired and in desperate need of a nap.

A lot more has happened, like tequila and coke with the vice president of this town in his house, not being able to pay for one single beer or thing if someone is watching. This is the most hospitable place I have ever been to and the Salas family has accepted us like their own sons. For this, I will forever be greatful and have Florencia in my heart. I have already been scoping land and places to rent, and I have a handful of offers of places to park my van and live for free or next to free. There are also several standing offers of horses to the waterfalls next time.

Yesterday when we hit the road to head back, me to monterrey and Joe and Merdardo to USA I noticed the van driving a little funny in the mountains. Three hours later in a small town called MalPaso (bad pass) outside Zacatecas city, I noticed I had no reverse. Neutral is grinding and whining like hell and drive is slipping badddd! So I decided not to risk the 7 hour drive through the desert back to Monterrey. Its a semi arid desert but there is NOTHING. Just ranches. The bill to get towed to Monterrey should there be a problem would have been astronomical. So I returned to Florencia where almost the entire Salas family are mechanics, and good ones (ASE certified and all that jazz). Right now they are removing the transmission and checking out the damage and my options. Hopefully, I can be on the road in a week. I have been offered around 4 places to stay long term for the work and even offered money to help, like I said these are great people. Thats all for now, pictures soon when I get back to my laptop in Monterrey.

3 comments:

Whiffleboy said...

I'm looking forward to these blog posts waaaaay more than your original Mexico run a few years back.

Great read!

Adri Garcia Luna said...

a week......like..........maybe i cand send u your laptop... lol

Chris said...

That's bad ass dude. Good luck with the vanny tranny.