Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Air Bags Installed... Took her beach camping


Exhaust rerouted out the side to clear the bag


Bags installed
Well I got the airsprings installed! These have greatly improved the ride and the support in the rear. My leaf springs are old and worn and instead of replacing the springs, I got these adjustable bags for the same cost as a new set of leaf springs. They can support up to 5000lbs of weight at 100psi. I run them at 15psi under normal driving and I love they way they ride! They have also raised the rear ride height by about 1.5 - 2inches as well! I ran my air valves out the rear right next to the license plate so I can air up both bags in the same spot, however they are NOT tied together. So far I have been airing them up with a small handpump commonly used for footballs and the like and it works great!
I took the van down south to Kemah/Galveston this weekend for a surf and just to put some miles on her and see how she would drive. I have to admit, I was very nervous taking her back to the location she last broke down and subsequently stuck for 2.5 months but she performed flawlessly.
The surf was a little better than I expected and with the sun we had on saturday I was actually able to trunk it in 67F water. It was a little chilly but I just decided my hatred of wetsuits would motivate me to get over it and paddle out. This is only the 3rd time Ive been in the water in 2 years! Ive decided I need to get back in the water before I leave, mostly because I was VERY rusty! My surfing was seriously lacking and my paddling strength was nil. Ugh... I just shudder at the thought of starting all over again.

1 comment:

Texas Roadrunners said...

WOW - amazing how much work you have gotten completed. Have you given any thoughts to which parts and tools you will need to take with you? It's getting so close to time to leave. Are you still on schedule?

I like the pic, it helps us non-mechanically inclined peeps to follow you.

Keep posting.